Sunday, August 12, 2012

39, chemo, radiation, rocks and vistors

This is kind of an all over place post....It's long. There is your warning.

****

Yesterday was my parent's 39th wedding anniversary.  We celebrated at their house with a family dinner (thanks Bub for cooking!).  Here are a couple of sweet shots of them taken by a family friend about a week ago:



They are pretty cute, huh?

****

Tomorrow morning Dad officially starts chemotherapy.  The chemo is a 5 day on/25 off treatment plan.  The 5 on is broken up into two parts.  First, he will have a four hour session in the oncologists office in what I am affectionately calling the "chemo lounge" - it's a big room with a bunch of recliner's in a horseshoe with patients hooked up to IV bags.  My mom got him an iPad for their anniversary so hopefully that will help pass the time.  They will give him some anti-nausea medication through the porta-cath before they start and hopefully that will help with any chemo related nausea.  He already has enough nausea as it is.  The chemo drug being administered during the 4 hour session on Day 1 is called Cisplatin.

Once that part is over, he will be hooked up with a 5FU pump (basically a fanny pack type deal going straight to the porta-cath) that will continue to administer a secondary chemotherapy drug 24/7 through Friday.  Friday, he will return to the office to be "unhooked" from all of that.  The chemo will continue to work in his body over the following 25 days, and all the possible side effects will still remain, but the "active" part will be done.

We are expecting increased nausea and fatigue to be the major side effects of the chemo, but we have been told repeatedly that everyone handles chemo differently and we are hoping that his body tolerates it well.

Ideally, the chemo will attack any cancer "seeds" that we cannot see on the scans as well as attacking the cancer in the lymph nodes and blood.  Chemo is a whole body treatment meant to kill cells that divide rapidly, one of the main properties of most cancer cells.

****

The second part of the treatment plan is Radiation, which will be used to focus on attacking and eliminating areas where the cancer is present.  In Dad's case, the focused area will be the main tumor at the esophagus/stomach area as well as the liver.  Last Friday, we met with the Radiologist and discussed this part of the treatment plan.  Since the cancer is not in the bone, the Radiologist feels comfortable being "very aggressive".  The basic plan is that Dad will have radiation every day, Monday through Friday, for 5 weeks for the esophageal part of things.  Radiation treatments will start this week and run concurrently with the chemo.  Also within the 5 weeks, there will be 5 days of "radio surgery" to attack the spots in the liver.  Radio surgery is similar to standard radiation, except the dose per "fraction" is 5x that of regular radiation.  We learned that the liver is typically good at tolerating radiation and the spots in the Dad's liver are not large so we feel fairly confident in this plan.

If the radiation is effective like we are hoping, it's possible that Dad could begin to feel some relief (from the tumor getting smaller and some of the pain decreasing) in just a few weeks.  Ideally, the tumor will shrink and the pain will decrease to the point that he will want to eat normally again and hopefully over time, we won't need the feeding tube.  That might be getting ahead of ourselves right now, but that is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that we are striving for.

We are anticipating increased nausea and fatigue (again) from this treatment as well.  Everything related to cancer seems to bring nausea and fatigue.  They are cancers unwelcome amigos.

The other unwanted, but expected result from the radiation is the "radiation effect", a sunburn feeling (inside and outside the radiated areas).  This will go away a few weeks after the radiation is over, and hopefully the tumor will be gone then too.

****

After we met with the Radiologist, Bub, my parents and I crammed into my parent's car and I read a note from a good friend of mine out loud.  It said:

"Dear Amber,
These are for you to do whatever you like.  I held them when I went thru radiation for my brain tumor. I think they work. We are praying and thinking about you guys every day."



The day before she had left the note and these silver stones at our house.  The four of us each picked one.  Bub picked miracle, my mom picked recovery, and I took magic and gave my Dad comfort. (He wanted to be last to pick).

It was really special to us that she had passed on something so meaningful to her.  I am not calling you out by name here, but you know who you are and I want you to know that it meant a lot to us.

****

I don't know how to handle this last part of the post with the most tact or sensitivity, so I'm just going to be honest.  Dad is not in a place right now to have visitors.  Part of that is because he needs to get all the rest he can to keep his immune system strong enough to fight the cancer.  Part of it is because he has waves of incredible pain throughout the day and has almost no energy.  Aside from a few hours in the morning, he is pretty lethargic and even the smallest activity really wears him out.  Part of it is that he is still processing all of this mentally and just isn't in a mindset to have people over.  He flat doesn't feel up to it. 

Once we get past this first few weeks of treatment, hopefully that will change.  We don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and we are beyond grateful that there is so much love and support for him on this journey.  But, if you know him, you know that he is a pretty proud and stubborn guy and being "sick" doesn't really line up with that.  (For the record, his stubbornness and pride is not easy for us either!)  But, his toughness and feisty nature is part of what he needs to fight this battle and part of what makes him the survivor he is. He needs some time to adjust and he needs to be able to call the shots on what feels comfortable for him and we want to support that. 

We'd love to get to the place where we can set up some Skype and phone call sessions that work with his energy level (early am).  We are not there yet, but hopefully we will be.  I'll keep you posted on that.

Thank you for the prayers, thoughts, hugs, comments, messages and Team Poppa photos.  If there is any certainty in all of this, it is that we know for sure we are loved and supported.

....Team Poppa










9 comments:

  1. I love how your family is so supportive of each other ..... That is a medicine all in itself ...... Love can make all the difference in how a person feels ...... Thinking of you and your family !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing family you have!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update and pictures. Pictures are so adorable. I know this must be draining on you too and you still take the time to update family/friends. You are strength and courage beyond compare!! Go Team Poppa!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome pictures. Happy Anniversary. Woohoo! And, OMG Tom J had 5FU and cisplatin and he will be 74 at the end of the month. I got his permission to tell you that . So know you are in our thoughts and prayers everyday.
    Much love and many prayers,
    Peggy and Tom J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Team Poppa, Thank you for sharing and being so informative. I like the team aspect, we are all in this together, I like that Rich picked "comfort", we need to know that comfort is not just being pain free but having the comfort of all of our loved ones. Our blessing's are reaching over oceans to you and may you feel the waves.

    John Meffert

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rich, sorry it has taken me a couple of days to respond after Annie emailed on Sunday.I too have been spending lots of time with Doctors and taking many tests. The consensusis that I have Crohn's disease with a severely inflamed small intestine. Over time it has damaged my liver and I will have an MRI soon to determine to what extent. But enough about me!!

    I went to the blog that Amber created and I tried to post a message to you on it but then it said I had to sign up so I created a Google user name and password but every time I tried
    to sign in it said they were incorrect. I had just finished a long post to you and when I tried to submit it it disappeared and again I was told to sign in and was unable to. So I got frustrated and decided to just email you instead. In case you didn't I am re-posting it here.

    I am so sorry that you are having to go through this battle, but as a Marine I know you will never give up the fight. You have a wonderful family who love you very much so I know you have a great support group to help you. The advances they have made in beating cancer nowadays are amazing.

    When I had my colon cancer back in 1995 I decided to use visualization to help fight it. I loved those scrubbing bubbles TV commercials so I pictured in my mind that tons of them were coursing through my body and goggling up all the bad cancer
    cells. I know sounds silly but I was really convinced it would work....at the very least I felt more in control of what was happening to my body. I've been cancer free for 17 years now and
    over the years when someone I knew got cancer I would tell them my story and lend them my scrubbing bubble with the stipulation that when they were healed they would pass them on to someone else. It seemed to help a lot of them fight their battle better. So now I am giving you your own personal scrubbing bubble, he will multiply into many and go to work. You just have to use your imagination and believe in the power of positive thinking!!!
    I love you and you will be in my prayers!!
    Jeanne Munis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to everyone who has posted on the blog. Mike and I are quite when it comes to talking about it so Amber thank you. You are amazing. I'm so glad we were all there this last weekend with mom and dad. Family is important and we really have the best family ever. We love you so much mom and dad. Xoxo.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rich ...you are so blessed to have such a great writer and informer as Amber...and Big Mike and Sherry I am sure they keep you laughing...and of course Annie is the best friend and wife you could ever want. Maybe your blessing abound and you healing complete...thoughts and prayers...God Bless
    terry

    ReplyDelete
  9. President Barack Obama was in the Oval Office when his telephone rang.

    “Hello, President Obama?” a heavily accented southern voice said. “This here is Big Rich Everett down here at Fiddle's Catfish Shack in Gilmer County, Georgia. I’m callin’ ya from the very heart of the Everett Family home place and I want you to know that we are officially declaring war on y’all!!”

    "Well, Big Rich," Barack replied, "This is indeed important news! But tell me, how big is your army?”

    "Right now," said Big Rich, after taken a moments calculation, "there is myself, my woman Annie, my daughter and her man, both my boys and their kin, a couple grand-kids, a next-door-neighbor and of course my bro-cuz Bobby and his woman, Mary. And I can’t forget that whole Blog team from T.P.’s Bait shop. I reckon that’ll make upwards of 17 or 18 of us. Might even be more if we can get ol’ Fiddle to close up his store.”

    Barack paused. "Well, I must tell you, Big Rich that I have one million men in my army, and every one of them is waiting to move on my command."

    "Wow!" said Big Rich. "I'll have to call ya back!"

    Sure enough, the next day, Big Rich called again. "Mr. Obama, I gotta tell ya, the war is still on! We have managed to acquire some infantry equipment!"

    "And what equipment would that be, Big Rich?" Barack asked.

    "Well sir, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and my son Mike's farm tractor."

    President Obama sighed. "Well, again, I must tell you, Big Rich that I have 16,000 tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also I've increased my army to one and a half million since we last spoke."

    "Lord above", said Big Rich, "I'll be getting back to ya."

    Sure enough, Big Rich called again the next day. "President Obama! I am sorry to have to tell you that we’re gonna have to call off this here war."

    “Well, I'm sorry to hear that,” said Barack. “But why the sudden change of heart?”

    “Well, sir,” said Big Rich, "we've all set ourselves down and had a long chat over some sweet tea, catfish, greens and pie and we’ve all come to realize that there's just no way we can feed that many prisoners."

    EVERETT CONFIDENCE CANNOT BE SHAKEN!!

    Faith in God and the unshakeable Everett Family determination . . . That’s what’s gonna win this war.

    Amber, your Team Poppa Blog is most welcome. Thank you so much for the good updates. We’ll all keep fighting and praying.

    Rich, hold on to that “Rock” of comfort. He won’t let you down. God Bless . . . and remember, “It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.” Mark Twain.

    Love you
    Bob and Mary

    ReplyDelete